Blevins Family Journal

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bathroom renovations....Part one

As I sit here without any water in the house, I wonder why I decided to redo the front bathroom.....??

This house was built in 1958, that outta tell you right there what we have been dealing with. The house on the inside is beautiful. It has been added onto in the back and we have a nice 1750 sq. ft. to work with. The only problem is that the facade is just that facade. Behind the shower wall is rotted sheetrock. All we were trying to do was change out the 1970's gold fixtures and replace them with chrome. It was supposed to be a 1 hour project. 7 hours later, the bathroom is torn apart, Michael is at Home Depot and my just cleaned last night bathroom looks like a tornado came through it. Turns out that the new fixtures are smaller than the previous and the old pipe is not long enough for the new fixtures.

I am glad that I did not try to tackle this all by myself in a few weeks. I will leave this up to Michael to finish. We will be stripping the wallpaper, painting and laying ceramic tile in a few weeks. I just hope that goes off without a hitch.

Well I am sure that I just jinxed myself.

Update: 9:37 p.m., water is flowing, shower doors are down, faucets are up but we are getting ready to make another late night trip to Wally World for more caulk and some new stripping for the tub. Oye!

Update 2: The bathroom reno ~ part one is complete. The shower is functioning and I am glad that all is well right now. We have decided to go ahead and remove the shower walls and replace with ceramic tile. We have a long road ahead of us with this room but as Michael said, reno projects are never complete. So I see.

4 comments:

Chad Gardner said...

You've given me the remodel bug again. I took a one month break after finishing my downstairs apartment, but I'm ready to start tackling mine.

Krista said...

You can come tackle ours too! The bathroom is still tore to pieces. I hate being a homeowner.

Marie said...

oh the fun things! How I miss them at this exact moment. I am sure once we are home owners again then I will hate it just as much!

MartiMichelle said...

you know how to lay tile? if so we may needf your assistance once we get our new house :)